Optometry Primary Eye Care
Rochester Regional Health - Reed Eye Associates
Mark R Parsons, OD, FAAO
Rochester Regional Health (RRH) is the leading provider of comprehensive care for Western New York and the Finger Lakes region. The system is comprised of five hospitals, serving the community as an integrated health services organization with a wide span of networks. In 2019, Reed Eye Associates joined RRH, creating a model that broadens optometric care and serves as the primary eye provider for the community.
Reed Eye was founded in 1978 by ophthalmologist Ronald R Reed, MD. Reed Eye Associates has grown into one of the largest primary eye care practices in New York State, consisting of six locations, three general ophthalmologists, and seventeen optometrists to-date. Our optometric providers are responsible for all primary eye care, medical eye care, and on-call responsibilities; practicing to their full scope.
Residents at RRH will have opportunities to provide care in both a hospital-based clinic and private practice. The residents’ locations will include the RRH’s Riedman Health Center, a full-service ophthalmology and optometry teaching and treatment eye center and the RRH’s Reed Eye Associates locations. The residency program will provide a diverse experience in different practice settings. Collaboration and rotation with sub-specialty ophthalmology will be a part of the curriculum and will include surgical observation in addition to understanding and learning perioperative care within the various specialties.
As a part of RRH, residents will have access to various resources and educational material, including a medical library and subscriptions to medical databases such as Up-To-Date and Lexicomp. Opportunities to learn with residents in other fields of medicine will be provided, broadening the scope of our residents’ educational experience. Graduates of the Primary Eye Care residency will leave with an advanced understanding of ocular and systemic disease, allowing our residents to deliver care at the highest level.
Clinical Patient Care Activities
Clinical Optometric Services:
Residents are scheduled for direct patient care at the Riedman Health Center and Reed Eye Associates throughout the year. Clinical hours will be scheduled from 8am-5pm for direct care. Residents will be responsible for providing comprehensive and emergency eye care at the various locations. A supervising attending will be available at all rotations for consultation and oversight of patient care.
Residents will share on-call responsibilities for Reed Eye Associates. An attending or staff optometrist will be scheduled for second-call to assist the residents. An ophthalmologist will also be scheduled for third-call if advanced/surgical consultation is required.
- Didactic activities will be scheduled weekly and will consist of lectures, journal club, grand rounds, and case discussion. Both in-house and virtual activities will be utilized in collaboration with Salus University
- All residents will be required to write a publishable-quality paper by the end of the residency
- A Grand Rounds presentation at Residents’ Day at Salus University is required
- Residents will be scheduled to rotate through various sub-specialties in ophthalmology which will provide a rich clinical and surgical experience in both a patient-care and observational format.
- Various rotations and/or grand-round attendance in other specialties of medicine will be scheduled
Riedman Health Center
How to Apply
Applicants for the Optometric Residency Program at Rochester Regional Health’s Reed Eye Associates must register for the ORMatch Application Service and apply to our program through their website.
We require the following materials submitted with the application:
• Curriculum Vitae
• Statement of Interest
• Official Optometry School Transcripts
• Three Letters of Recommendation from clinical faculty or supervision doctors in externships
In addition, applicants must meet the following criteria:
• Provide evidence of successful completion of Parts I, II, III, and TMOD of the NBEO prior to the beginning of the program or scheduled to retake any parts of board that were failed
• Prior to matriculation applicants must have attained their Doctor of Optometry degree from a school or college of optometry accredited by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education
• Must be a United States Citizen or have a valid OPT visa
• Optometric State Licensure in NY State
Deadline for Application: February 15
Benefits & Compensation
2 weeks of paid vacation per year. All vacation must be scheduled and be approved by the Program Director.
Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
Health Spending Account and Flexible Spending Account
Option to purchase one of two plans available
Travel and Education Allowance
$1000 per year – approval of Program Director required.
Professional Liability Insurance
Professional liability insurance is provided by Rochester General Hospital’s insurance program for activities required by the residency program.
Term Life Insurance
Employer paid coverage equal to 1x salary with option to purchase added coverage up to five (5) times annual salary.
Plan for Short-term Disability
Residents are entitled to up to six months of pay in the event of an approved disability, compensated at 60% of the resident stipend.
Residents are provided with long-term disability of 50% of resident stipend in the event of an approved long-term disability. Residents have an option to purchase additional long-term disability insurance to bring the amount up to 66.67%.
Option to enroll in tax-deferred annuity plan.
Salaries are paid on a bi-weekly basis. The salaries for the 2022-2023 academic year will be:
Program Length: 52 weeks (July 1-June 30)
Information for Selected Candidates
Interviews will be scheduled in order the application is received. Interviews for the 2022-2023 residency program will offered in-person or virtually based on the applicant’s preference.
Mark R Parsons, OD, FAAO
Rochester Regional Health Reed Eye Associates
500 Kreag Road
Pittsford, NY 14534
View our current residents in the Rochester Regional Health – Optometry Primary Eye Care Residency
View the recent graduates of the Rochester Regional Health – Optometry Primary Eye Care Residency